This is the picture story of the summer’s work on our RV-7. Something was done every day, and pictures were taken only to supplement the daily handwritten log. This is not an instruction manual as there were many, many steps in between those illustrated here.
As noted in our status report, the RV-7 Quickbuild Wings and Fuselage arrived in Michigan on June 4th. They were delivered to Dalton Airport (3DA) in Flushing, trailered to our shop, and the wings set into cradles with the help of friends from EAA Chapter 77.
Dolly and I had fun uncrating and unpacking.
It was exciting to be introduced to our next airplane.
Some people call them “Idiot Lights”, lights that are on under some condition, and off when that condition is not present. Pilots may have strong opinions on whether or not they are useful. Many state that most annunciator functions can now be implemented through the glass panel displays that many of us are installing, and therefore an annunciator panel is just adding unnecessary complexity.
If forgetting to turn off a fuel boost pump after takeoff, or not remembering to turn on strobe lights before starting the engine makes one an idiot, then count me in. Our RV-7 is going to have an annunciator panel. Exactly what conditions will be monitored is yet to be determined.
Dolly and I started construction of the RV-7 empenage on November 4th after voting. 72 days later (70 shop days) the tail feathers are assembled except for the fiberglas tips that will be attached later.
This post is the story of building the elevators.
The right and left elevators are identical except for a pitch trim tab that sits in an inboard cutout in the left elevator. Construction starts with the spars and is similar to the rudder,
Each part of the empenage seems to add a new complexity to the build. The Rudder is no exception. It does not have internal ribs like the Horizontal Stabilizer; rather it has light weight stiffeners that the builder fabricates from pre-punched angle channel stock. Tho lighter in weight than the Vertical Stabilizer the Rudder has many many more rivets.
Not the best photo, but it shows a pre-punched rudder stiffener being cut on our band saw.
I have an old (3 megapixel) Olympus camera that is now dedicated to recording the build. I keep it in the tool chest for photos such as these.
In building the Vertical Stabilizer, the first task is to smooth all edges and slightly round the corners of all the parts.
The lightening holes in the reinforcing plate are punched at the factory and have rough edges, as on the center hole shown in the photo on the right. The other two shiny holes have been finished with a Scotchbrite wheel on a drill and then a hand held Scotchbrite red pad. Continue reading “Let’s build a Vertical Stabilizer”
This week the horizontal stabilizer parts were abraded with ScotchBrite, cleaned with acetone and labeled in Sharpie blue.
I built a spray table from 1/2 inch PVC. Wire cloth was stretched between two sides. The sides with the legs rotate so the whole thing folds flat for storage. The table was placed on a plastic tarp on our lanai (that’s a screened back porch for you northerners).
Internal surfaces were painted with SEM self etching rattle-can primer. I chose one part primer for these interior parts for simplicity of process. Our 66 year old Globe Swift has no interior primer in the fuselage and the metal still shines. We’ll move up to two part epoxy primer for the cabin interior and other wear and tear areas. Continue reading “A Milestone”
The FAA says amateur building is to be an educational process. It sure is. We are learning not only new mechanical skills but also new ways of thinking and communicating.
We are eleven days into the metalworking and have yet to set the first rivet. The parts in Vans kit are formed and most holes punched, but they all require smoothing of edges, resizing of holes, deburring of drilled holes, etc.
Van’s construction instructions start off being very detailed. We soon found that details are needed which are not in the instructions and only exist in the plan drawings.
We started drilling skins to the ribs following the instructions and not noting that the drawing wanted a smaller drill size than in the previous instruction. A phone call to Vans gave relief. It’s OK to use larger rivets (1/8 vs 3/32″) on the inboard rib providing edge clearance rules are not violated. Fortunately our edge distances are OK.
As a result of my drilling snafoo we built a new rule. Dolly and I will each independently read plans and instructions for any construction step. and come to a common understanding of what is to be done. Continue reading “Eleven Days In”
The empennage kit was ordered on October 16th, the Thursday before we left Michigan. The kit was shipped on the 20th and arrived in Florida three days later. The boxes were kept closed while we finished construction of an EAA table. A tool chest was found on Craigslist. It was in good shape at a pawn shop. Great deal.
Dolly has become “Chief Engineer” on the proect. I couldn’t wouldn’t do it without her.
We unpacked Sunday evening the 25th. Inventory started Monday morning. We counted all the packages and parts, everything but the rivets.
Since returning from Oshkosh we have been working almost constantly getting the barn ready for the aircraft build. It was packed full of several generations keepsakes, mementos and items too valuable to discard.
A garage sale and family relocation disposed of enough stuff to permit sealing and painting of the floor to begin.
Dolly and I drove our Roadtrek RV to Airventure rather than fly the Swift so as to not be distracted from our prime focus on Vans RV building information. It also allowed us to camp with over twenty others from Dalton Airport (3DA), our home airport. We were the first of our group to arrive on Thursday before the convention. The site in Ed’s Campground adjacent to the airport and just off the end of the ultralight runway was gorgeous.